Meeting Name: Heritage Barrie Committee Agenda status: Final
Meeting date/time: 6/27/2023 6:30 PM Minutes status: Final  
Meeting location: Sir Robert Barrie Room
Published agenda: Agenda Agenda Published minutes: Minutes Minutes  
Meeting video:  
Attachments:
File #Ver.Agenda #NameTypeTitleActionResultAction DetailsVideo
TMP-30810 2  Discussion ItemCOMMITTEE BUDGET UPDATE Councillor, C. Riepma provided an update concerning the Committee’s budget and recommendation related to tax relief for designated properties. The Committee discussed potential budgetary requirements related to heritage plaques, utility box wraps, trees, doors open event, heritage conservation districts and historic neighbourhood guides. Councillor Riepma will prepare an outline of the Committee’s budget requirements and he will forward to members of Committee. Councillor, A. Kungl advised that she plans to have two utility boxes wrapped in Ward 3 with historical pictures. Councillor, Reipma and Councillor, Kungl indicated that they would approach members of Council concerning the potential of historic utility wraps for each of their respective wards. Councillor Riepma advised that he attended the 2023 Heritage Ontario Conference which was very informative. He suggested that members of the Committee should be invited to future conferences.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-30811 2  Discussion ItemOPEN AIR DUNLOP AND BARRIE FARMERS MARKET The Committee discussed their participation at Open Air Dunlop and Barrie Farmers Market. Kayleigh MacKinnon, Sarah MacKinnon, Craig Froese and Pauline Stevenson volunteered at the Barrie Farmer’s Market booth in June, 2023. Kayleigh MacKinnon advised that the Committee has a booth booked at the Barrie Farmer’s Market on July 8, 2023, and that Shelley Marchant, Kayleigh McKinnon and Craig Froese volunteered for the event. The Committee discussed preparing promotional material for use at events which contains information on heritage designation, listing a property and the effects of Bill #23, More Homes Built Faster Act, 2022 , and the Heritage Barrie Awards. Pauline Stevenson volunteered to draft the content of the promotional material and will forward to Tomasz Wierzba.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-30812 1  Discussion Item2023 DOORS OPEN Cathy Colebatch advised that the City of Barrie will not be participating in the 2023 Doors Open event. Ms. Colebatch discussed her concerns surrounding communications and promotion of Barrie’s participation in the Doors Open event as its a County of Simcoe event. She noted her concerns associated with communicating to the public about participating in the event. The Committee discussed participating in the 2024 Doors Open event and obtaining assistance from staff in Access Barrie to promote and communicate the event to the municipality.Received  Action details Not available
23-G-200 1  Recommendation2024 DOORS OPEN EVENT - MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONrecommended for consideration of adoption (Section "B")  Action details Not available
TMP-30813 1  Discussion ItemHERITAGE CONSERVATION DISTRICTS Tomasz Wierzba, Supervisor of Growth Management provided an overview of the memorandum to the Affordability Committee dated June 21, 2023, concerning Heritage Conservation Districts. Mr. Wierzba suggested the Committee consider preparing a business case on establishing heritage conservations districts. The Committee discussed gathering information from other municipalities related to their heritage conservations districts, opportunities to promote heritage to interested groups/organizations Councillor A.M. Kungl indicated that she would contact Tourism Barrie and the Downtown Barrie Business Improvement Association to promote the municipality’s heritage. The Committee decided to set up a Heritage Conservation District Subcommittee, and Kayleigh MacKinnon, Sarah MacKinnon, Shelley Marchant and Tomasz Wierzba volunteered to participate on the Committee. The Committee discussed potentially hosting a Heritage Stakeholders Meeting during Spring 2024.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-30804 2  Discussion ItemDEVELOPMENT APPLICATIONS UNDER REVIEW Tomasz Wierzba, Supervisor of Growth Management advised that there were no new development applications have been received that require the input from the Committee.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-30814 2  Discussion ItemSTATUS OF MUNICIPAL HERITAGE REGISTER Tomasz Wierzba, Supervisor of Growth Management provided an update concerning the Municipal Heritage Register. The Committee discussed the impacts of Bill #23, More Homes Built Faster Act, 2022 legislation as it relates to those listed properties on the Municipal Heritage Register. Mr. Wierzba did note that correspondence has been forwarded to Municipal Heritage Register listed property owners with information related to Bill #23 and designating a heritage property. Mr. Wierzba advised the Committee that a request was received from the property owners of 96 Clapperton Street to have their property added to the Municipal Heritage Register as a listed property. Mr. Wierzba discussed the historical attributes of the property. He advised that the property owner is aware of the legislative changes concerning listed properties on the register. The Committee agreed to add this property to the Municipal Heritage Register as a listed property.Received  Action details Not available
23-G-199 1  RecommendationMUNICIPAL HERITAGE REGISTER - 96 CLAPPERTON STREETrecommended for consideration of adoption (Section "B")  Action details Not available
TMP-30806 1  Discussion ItemHERITAGE BARRIE AWARDS Tomasz Wierzba, Supervisor of Growth Management advised that the nomination period for the 2023 Heritage Barrie Awards would remain the same as previous years.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-30815 2  Discussion ItemHISTORIC UTILITY BOX WRAPS Councillor, A.M. Kungl advised that plans are to have two utility boxes wrapped with historical pictures in Ward 3, and that she has sent an inquiry to staff in Economic and Creative Development concerning costs for the wraps. Deb Exel volunteered to assist with curating any of the historical pictures for the utility wraps.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-30807 1  Discussion ItemHISTORIC NEIGHBOURHOOD GUIDES Tomasz Wierzba, Supervisor of Growth Management provided an update concerning the Historic Neighbourhood Guides. He advised that staff in Access Barrie are searching for interested parties to sponsor the historic neighbourhood guides, and that it is anticipated they will be ready for printing in fall, 2023. Mr. Wierzba indicated that Deb Exel is working with staff in Access Barrie on finalizing the guides. Mr. Wierzba advised that a draft copy of the Historic Neighbourhood Guide will be forwarded to members of the Committee for their review.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-30808 1  Discussion ItemCOMMITTEE WORK PLAN AND COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY Councillor, A.M. Kungl advised that staff in Access Barrie prepared a communications plan to support the needs of the Committee. The Committee discussed items in the work plan including historic neighbourhood guides, historic conservation districts and a potential heritage stakeholders meeting.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-30809 2  Discussion ItemMILITARY TREE PLANTING Craig Froese provided an update concerning military tree planting project including discussions with staff in Development Services. Members of the Committee suggested organizations that may be interested in assisting with the tree planting project.Received  Action details Not available