Meeting Name: Heritage Barrie Committee Agenda status: Final
Meeting date/time: 11/10/2021 6:30 PM Minutes status: Final  
Meeting location: Virtual Meeting
Published agenda: Agenda Agenda Published minutes: Minutes Minutes  
Meeting video:  
Attachments:
File #Ver.Agenda #NameTypeTitleActionResultAction DetailsVideo
TMP-28102 2  Discussion Item - ACPRESENTATION CONCERNING RESTORATION AND DONATION OF HISTORIC TRAIN ENGINE 1531 Stephannie Schlichter, Director of Economic of Creative Development and Amanda Dyke, Culture Officer (Development) provided a presentation concerning the restoration and donation of Historic Train Engine 1531. Ms. Schlichter discussed slides concerning the following topics: · Council’s direction to consult with the Committee concerning relocation of Historic Train Engine 1531; · A project overview of Engine 1531; · The current status of Engine 1531; · The municipalities relationship with the Simcoe County Museum; · The challenges and considerations for the Simcoe County Museum related to the train; · The options of restoring versus donating Engine 1531 to the Simcoe County Museum; · The Allandale Station and Southshore Park locations; · The impacts on Heritage Tourism; · A preliminary cost benefit analysis associated with Engine 1531; and · Staff’s recommendation to donate Engine 1531 to the Simcoe County Museum. Members of Committee asked a number of questions of Ms. Schlichter and Ms. Dyke and recReceived  Action details Not available
21-G-276 1  RecommendationRESTORATION AND DONATION OF HISTORIC TRAIN ENGINE 1531 That in response to motion 21-G-218 requiring staff to consult with the Heritage Barrie Committee on costs associated with relocating Engine 1531 to the Allandale Station area, the Heritage Barrie Committee recommends that the following original recommendation in Staff Report ECD004-21, Restoration and Donation of Historic Train Engine 1531, be approved: “1. That subject to the approval of the County of Simcoe, staff in the Economic and Creative Development Department be authorized to negotiate an agreement with the Simcoe County Museum for donation of Engine 1531, its tender box and its caboose (referred to as Engine 1531) that identifies the donation, to be included as part of the Museum’s larger exhibit regarding local railway heritage, with an emphasis on City of Barrie and the Allandale Station, subject to terms and conditions to the satisfaction of the Director of Economic and Creative Development and in a form to the satisfaction of the Director of Legal Services. 2. That the City Clerk be authorized to executrecommended for adoption  Action details Not available
TMP-28103 2  Discussion Item - ACCOMMITTEE BUDGET UPDATE Councillor, C. Riepma provided an update concerning the Committee’s 2021 Budget. He noted that the 2022 Budget has not yet been approved. The Committee agreed to prioritize projects for the 2022 Budget and discuss at the next meeting. The Committee approved an expenditure of funds from the Heritage Barrie Committee cost centre #1025-620200 for an amount of $100.00 to be donated to the Royal Canadian Legion Barrie Branch in recognition of Remembrance Day and commitment to preserving Barrie’s history.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-28104 2  Discussion Item - AC2021 HERITAGE BARRIE AWARDS Tomasz Wierzba, Planner provided an update on the 2021 Heritage Barrie Awards. He advised that nominations are now open and deadline for submissions is November 26, 2021. Mr. Wierzba advised that he has been working with staff in Access Barrie on a communications strategy and that he will be circulating information about the Awards to community partners/stakeholders to assist with promoting the Awards. The Committee suggested potential properties for the 2021 Heritage Barrie Awards and agreed to discuss further at the next meeting. The Committee approved an expenditure of funds from the Heritage Barrie Committee cost centre #1025-620200 in an amount up to $500.00 for advertising, promotional material and communications related to the 2021 Heritage Barrie Awards.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-28105 2  Discussion Item - AC2022 HERITAGE WEEK Tomasz Wierzba, Planner provided an update concerning the 2022 Heritage Week. He mentioned that Heritage Week takes place annually during the month of February and that dates are still to be determined for 2022. The Committee discussed potential ideas for the 2022 Heritage Week that included the presentation to the 2021 Heritage Barrie Award recipients at a City Council meeting in February, 2022. Shelley Marchant suggested establishing a sub-committee for the 2022 Heritage Week. The Committee agreed to discuss further at their next meeting.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-28106 2  Discussion Item - ACHERITAGE PLAQUES Tomasz Wierzba, Planner provided an update concerning the type, size, circa date and costs associated with heritage plaques for listed properties on the Municipal Heritage Register. The Committee provided their feedback to Mr. Wierzba concerning the heritage plaques including the circa dates. They noted their preference to include a circa on the heritage plaques for listed properties. The Committee suggested creating a signage policy to indicate the differences between the types of heritage plaques for designated and listed properties Mr. Wierzba advised that he will contact the property owners that indicated their intent for a heritage plaque for their listed property to determine their preference on a circa date for their plaque.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-28107 2  Discussion Item - ACDEBRIEF HERITAGE STAKEHOLDERS MEETING Shelley Marchant provided an overview on the items discussed at the Heritage Stakeholder meeting on October 6, 2021 that included a communications strategy, conservation districts and signage, growing heritage tourism, public art and murals, heritage awards and communication and potential opportunities to collaborate with the community organizations or stakeholders to promote or support heritage related projects. Ms. Marchant thanked the Committee for organizing a fantastic stakeholder meeting with great discussions. The Committee provided their positive feedback concerning the meeting.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-28108 2  Discussion Item - ACSUB-COMMITTEE - BRADFORD PROPERTIES REPORT Tomasz Wierzba, Planner provided an update in response to motion 20-G-046 regarding the Municipal Heritage Register and the City-owned properties located at 151, 155 and 161 Bradford Street. He advised that staff in Development Services are in the process of drafting a staff report related to the Bradford Street properties and that the Committee will need to prepare a memorandum addressing the rationale for adding these properties to the Municipal Heritage Register as listed properties. Mr. Wierzba suggested establishing a sub-committee for the Bradford Street Properties. The Committee discussed establishing a Bradford Properties Report Sub-Committee. Cathy Colebatch volunteered to draft the memorandum with assistance from the Committee as required.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-28109 2  Discussion Item - ACSUB-COMMITTEE - ALLANDALE GO TUNNEL ART Tomasz Wierzba, Planner provided an update concerning the Allandale GO Tunnel Art Project including the potential of establishing a sub-committee to assist with moving the art project forward. The Committee discussed the Allandale GO Tunnel Art Project. Councillor, J. Harris and Craig Froese volunteered to sit on the Allandale GO Tunnel Art Sub-Committee.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-28111 2  Discussion Item - ACSTATUS OF POTENTIAL LISTINGS TO THE MUNICIPAL HERITAGE REGISTER Tomasz Wierzba, Planner advised that requests have been received for 123 Toronto Street, 50 William Street, 90 Cumberland Street, 97 Cumberland Street and 105 Cumberland Street to be added to the Municipal Heritage Register as listed properties. He discussed the heritage attributes listed on the evaluation forms for each of the properties including historical value, style and history of each property. The Committee provided feedback concerning the properties and recommended adding 123 Toronto Street, 50 William Street, 90 Cumberland Street, 97 Cumberland Street and 105 Cumberland Street on the Municipal Heritage Register as listed properties.Received  Action details Not available
21-G-277 1  RecommendationMUNICIPAL HERITAGE REGISTER - 123 TORONTO STREET, 50 WILLIAM STREET, 90, 97 AND 105 CUMBERLAND STREET That the properties known municipally as the following be added to the Municipal Heritage Register as listed properties: a) 123 Toronto Street; b) 50 William Street; c) 90 Cumberland Street; d) 97 Cumberland Street; and e) 105 Cumberland Street.recommended for adoption  Action details Not available
TMP-28118 2  Discussion Item - ACDEVELOPMENT APPLICATIONS UNDER REVIEW Tomasz Wierzba, Planner provided an update on the status of the proposed development located at 259 and 273 Innisfil Street, and 41 and 43 Essa Road. He advised that the development application will be brought forth to the Committee to provide comments at a future meeting. Cathy Colebatch advised that a Public Meeting has been scheduled for the application at the next Planning Committee meeting to be held on November 23, 2021. Tomasz Wierzba, Planner provided an update regarding the status of the proposed development located at 181 Burton Avenue. He explained that the Committee is not required to provide a recommendation since there is no listed or designated cultural heritage in the surrounding area of the property location. Mr. Wierzba suggested that if the Committee members have any comments related to the development, to forward them to him.Received  Action details Not available
TMP-28110 2  Discussion Item - AC2022 COMMITTEE MEETING SCHEDULE The Committee met and discussed their 2022 meeting schedule and chose to meet on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 6:30 p.m.Received  Action details Not available